EAD and Advance Parole in One Single Card!

Posted by at 11 February, at 15 : 56 PM Print | Email Email | This page as PDF PDF

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (2 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5)
Loading ... Loading ...

On February 11, 2011, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced that it is now issuing employment and travel authorization on a single card for certain applicants filing a Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status; and also filing I-765, Application for Employment Authorization (EAD), and I-131, Application for Advance Parole.

This new card represents a significant improvement from the current practice of issuing paper Advance Parole documents especially because of the multiple functionalities of the card. For example, the new card can be used as proof of employment authorization in the United States, and for I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification purposes. It also serves as a form of international travel document (in conjunction with a valid passport), and the bar-coded card is more secure and more durable than the current paper Advance Parole document.

The card looks similar to the current EAD card but will include text that reads, “Serves as I-512 Advance Parole.” When a card is issued with this text, it will serve as both an employment authorization and Advance Parole document.

Under certain circumstances, USCIS will continue to issue separate EAD and Advance Parole documents. For example, an applicant will receive an EAD without permission to travel if the applicant does not request Advance Parole or if the applicant’s Form I-765 is approved but your Form I-131 is denied.

Please note, an approved advance parole, in paper or card format, is only a document permitting the traveler to seek permission at the port of entry to re-enter the United States, and the re-entry into the U.S. is not guaranteed. Moreover, certain foreign nationals with certain immigration histories may jeopardize their immigration process by traveling internationally even with approved advance parole documents/cards.  Foreign nationals should consult with experienced immigration attorneys prior to their international travels.

By Aik Wan Kok Fillali, Attorney at Law, at Tiya PLC; Tel: 703-772-8224
www.tiyaimmigration.com ; http://tiyalaw.blogspot.com ; www.immigrationresource.net

We represent employers, and individuals and their families in green card, work visa and waiver matters in U.S. immigration law.

All Rights Reserved.
This article is intended for informational purposes only, and should not be relied on as a legal advice or an attorney-client relationship.


More News

Green Card Green Card - Others Green Card via Family Green Card via Work Immigration Forms Immigration News Others Visas Work Visas , , , , , , , , , , ,

Related Posts

Leave a Reply



Log In

Do you Need an Immigration Lawyer?

 Tiya PLC Can Help.


More News